Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HTML is unescaped in tooltips, leading to XSS vulnerability when using user input

Howdy,

I noticed when using Tipped that user-input is not properly escaped. When the "title" attribute of a Tipped element is supplied by user-input, the browser executes javascript code inside of it (e.g.'<script>alert("foo");</script>').

Here is a problematic example:

<% user_title = '<script>alert("foo");</script>' %>
<th scope="row" class="js-tooltip" title="<%= user_title %>" data-tipped-options="position: 'topleft'">

Rails escapes HTML characters, but it appears that Tipped unescapes them. For example, this will be executed, as well:

&lt;img src=&quot;nope&quot; onerror=&quot;alert('xss')&quot;&gt;

In order to use Tipped, we have to double-escape user-supplied strings in Ruby. I was hoping there's a global option to turn off un-escaping, but I'm not seeing anything in the docs.

Alternatively, is there an easier solution that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Michael

Comments

• Is there any updates on this issue? It appears that the most current version of this library is still vulnerable to xss. To test:

1.) download and modify tipped-4.6.1-light/example/index.html
    2.) Update line 34 to be:

<div class='box' title="&lt;details open ontoggle=alert(document.domain)&gt;" data-tipped-options="position: 'topleft'">

3.) Open the example page in the browser
    4.) Hover over the first example
    5.) Notice that html escaped title content is evaluated and executes the ontoggle Javascript alert